I'm really looking forward to seeing your coming versions. Having it auto detect 'which' WiFi network (not just any) would be a huge bonus... so when I'm in an airport or hotel it does not start... but when at home it does.
Also, please allow me to elaborate on my goals, as I know others I've spoken with have the same issue on this and other forums. I think you have a large audience for your app if you do a few key things.
I have several home automation and home theater apps which are mainly controlled using separate apps/methods. A small amount of integration comes from Eventghost since most of the gaps I have are on the client side integration (front-end).
Let me explain in this format...
- functions & level of integration it is performing today
- near future goals
- detects apps running on HTPC and Onkyo receiver's 'state' (serial connection) to determine...
- what to pass control to for IR commands received
- what state to set lighting (scenes) and devices like sub woofers; Sends these commands to Homeseer
- Possibly set up a main screen for basic Activities (think Harmony Remote) which kick off EG 'events' and also open/close other Android apps based on the controller (app) needed.
- runs the Insteon and X10 home automation devices for lighting, subs, etc
- lighting scenes are set up here and can be triggered by any standard HTTP POST command.
- I built a few web page designs (HTML/ASP) that run on any browser (Safari, Chrome, FF, etc) to trigger devices/events in HS
- I have been working with iPhone & Android developers to create native apps for HS. They are nearing completion (a month or two). This app would need to be triggered by your EG app, and when closed, have your app reopen (come to focus) automatically.
- my home theater media player: music, movies, etc for the main theater room
- There is a free XBMC Android app the I use. This app would need to be triggered by your EG app, and when closed, have your app reopen (come to focus) automatically.
4. J River Media Center
- my whole house audio player (since XBMC does not support multi-zones)
- there is a native web interface I use. The web page would need to be triggered by your EG app, and when closed, have your app reopen (come to focus) automatically.
How your EG app can play a role...
I'm looking for an app to "glue" everything together with a nice UI that I can put on a few wireless tablet devices around the house (and my phone). It needs to be simple enough for anyone, including kids and guests, to use. Not only would your app be the main menu, but it will trigger apps and events/scenes (e.g. Child pushes 'Watch Kids Video' GUI button), monitor for their closure, and go back to the main menu - or trigger another event based on the rules set. I could do this with a pure web interface but you are already going down the path and if you can develop it fast enough, since I don't know of any Android app that can do this today so, I think you have an advantage in the market if you price this reasonably.
I'm happy to assist with testing, and development ideas, if you'd like. I have run dev teams in my recent past so I understand the development cycle and 'how' to test and debug.
Let me know what you think.
setup... XBMC, W7MC for DVR & Live OTA TV, JRMC for multi-zone audio, EG, MiCasaVerde Vera3, USB-UIRT IR receiver, Harmony remote, 5.2 home theater system