Can I intercept IR commands with EG?

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.

Can I intercept IR commands with EG?

Postby barnabas1969 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:09 am

I haven't installed Event Ghost yet. I'm using Windows 7 Media Center. I am currently using IRSS (IR Server Suite) to intercept some IR commands to trigger some macros and send some RS-232 commands to my TV and AVR. I am disappointed with IRSS, because the macros don't correctly save or interpret the values of variables, and because the command-line interface has a problem with pauses that are embedded into the macro.

I'm very interested in EG, especially because of the new RCAware plugin and hardware... but I will need to be able to continue to intercept IR commands in order to make it work the way I want. I will also need to continue to send RS-232 commands, because my AVR does not have an HDMI switch in it (which, obviously, means that it is not HDMI-CEC compliant).

I understand that EG can send RS-232 commands, and that it will work with the MCE remote receiver. I just need to confirm that EG will be able to trigger an event/action when it receives specified IR commands.

Please let me know if this is possible.

Thank you.
barnabas1969
Experienced User

Re: Can I intercept IR commands with EG?

Postby jonib » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:52 am

barnabas1969 wrote:I just need to confirm that EG will be able to trigger an event/action when it receives specified IR commands.
You have full control what macro(s) are triggered when Eventghost gets an event.

jonib
XBMC2 plugin to control XBMC. If you want to flatter me Image
jonib
Plugin Developer

Postby barnabas1969 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:48 pm

jonib wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:I just need to confirm that EG will be able to trigger an event/action when it receives specified IR commands.
You have full control what macro(s) are triggered when Eventghost gets an event.

jonib
Thanks for the answer, but does that mean that a IR command from an MCE remote will be read as an event? Also, is it better to use a USB-UIRT instead of the MCE receiver?

I think I already know the answers, but I want to get confirmation before I take the leap. IRSS seems to have some bugs... and I can't get any help from the Media Portal folks.

Thanks in advance.
barnabas1969
Experienced User

Postby jonib » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:15 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:but does that mean that a IR command from an MCE remote will be read as an event?
Yes, as long as you use the right plugin and have it configured correctly.
Also, is it better to use a USB-UIRT instead of the MCE receiver?
Hopefully somebody else can help with that as I haven't used either.

jonib
jonib
Plugin Developer

Postby barnabas1969 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:39 am

Thanks jonib. What IR receiver do you use?
barnabas1969
Experienced User

Postby jonib » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:19 am

barnabas1969 wrote:Thanks jonib. What IR receiver do you use?
The IR receiver built in to my TechnoTrend digital tuner card (using TechnoTrend Ir Bda driver).

jonib
jonib
Plugin Developer

Postby mickelin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:36 pm

I use both usb-uirt and original mce receiver. Both work fine for receiving, but usb-uirt can also be used for transmitting ir. That does not work with mce receiver on xp.
mickelin
Experienced User

Postby barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:14 pm

mickelin wrote:I use both usb-uirt and original mce receiver. Both work fine for receiving, but usb-uirt can also be used for transmitting ir. That does not work with mce receiver on xp.
Thanks for the info. I currently use two dongles on my machine as well. One is for a cheapie remote I got on Amazon that does Windows commands (mouse pad, close window, alt-tab, etc) and the other is the MCE dongle. If the USB-UIRT will do all of those functions, it would be great to have only one dongle for IR.

Is there a reason why you use both the MCE receiver and the USB-UIRT? Does the USB-UIRT not work to receive the MCE commands?
barnabas1969
Experienced User

Postby mickelin » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:24 pm

Sorry, I wasn't clear. They are not in the same pc. I use usb-uirt in two of my pcs, mce oem in a third and a no name mce in a fourth. No need to have more than one in the same pc... Usb-uirt receives all ir signals from all remotes I've tried. It is a great product!
mickelin
Experienced User

Return to General Support