EventGhost with Logitech PS3 BT Adapter and Harmony Remote

If you have a question or need help, this is the place to be.

EventGhost with Logitech PS3 BT Adapter and Harmony Remote

Postby HyperEscape » Fri May 27, 2011 4:41 am

Hello,

I am a total beginner to start with Eventghost. My scenario is as follows:

1. Running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on Dell Optiplex 755. Bluetooth is a USB unbranded dongle working perfect with all devices.

2. I have a Logitech PS3 Bluetooth Adapter (not Sony BD Remote) which I have managed to pair with my computer. It is detected as "HID - Game Controller" and is paired and connected to the PC.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmony-Adapter-PlayStation-3/dp/tech-data/B00267S7XW/ref=de_a_smtd

3. I have a Logitech Harmony 880 (IR) universal remote. I am trying to use it to control the media center (XBMC) running on the PC. Since I dont have an IR receiver, I am trying to use Logitech PS3 Bluetooth Adapter to accept incoming IR commands from Harmony and translate and trigger them on the PC using the bluetooth.

4. Searching around I saw that people have achieved this using Eventghost, which I installed too. Tried using a couple of already configured community shared configuration (XML) files, but none worked so far. Apparently when I run the file it searches for "Sony Remote" and "XBMC" plugins, which reportedly are missing.

5. I have noticed that in Eventghost plugins there is only a plugin for "Sony Bluetooth Remote" not for "Logitech PS3 Bluetooth Adapter ". The latter infact works as a Sony BT remote for the PS3, just with the added convenience that now PS3 can also be controlled via Harmony via this IR -> BT translator. Hence all such ready made configuration files are not of use to me, at least i haven't seen any other user trying for a similar setup.

6. Is there a possibility that I can get a plugin for "Logitech PS3 Bluetooth Adapter ". Any chances that it would work the same way.

7. Is there any special bluetooth stack required or recommended for running Eventghost. I am running BlueSoleil 6.4 , is it required to have Microsoft or Widcomm stack to setup bluetooth control of the PC.

8. Did read somewhere (maybe on Logitech Forums) that Logitech PS3 Bluetooth Adapter is hardwired to fire bluetooth commands only compatible with a PS3. Which kills the chances of having such a setup. But just asking is it possible to intercept or read the bluetooth signals from this device to make it work for the PC.

I did read in the XBMC forums that a guy is able to run a similar setup by using both Logitech PS3 Bluetooth Adapter and Sony BD Remote, according to him both acted virtually similar and he was able to make it all work, at least on Mac using RemoteBuddy , any attempts in Windows environment are not clear. But it sounds like it can be possible.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=511969&postcount=136

Thanks for reading and possible guidance.
HyperEscape

Re: EventGhost with Logitech PS3 BT Adapter and Harmony Remo

Postby cramskie » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:11 am

I'm having the same problems here, trying to connect my harmony 700 to XBMC (with the harmony PS3 bluetooth adapter). Without any luck so far... Did you find a solution or a good eventghost plugin for this problem?
cramskie

Re: EventGhost with Logitech PS3 BT Adapter and Harmony Remo

Postby HyperEscape » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:16 pm

Unfortunately not. I have tried and gave up on the possibility. Since i did not get much help. Browsing through maybe at logitech website, I reach that the PS3 Harmony Bluetooth Adapter is somehow hardcoded to send specific bluetooth signals/commands and cannot be configured to adapt to our reqruiements.

Just as I wrote

Did read somewhere (maybe on Logitech Forums) that Logitech PS3 Bluetooth Adapter is hardwired to fire bluetooth commands only compatible with a PS3. Which kills the chances of having such a setup. But just asking is it possible to intercept or read the bluetooth signals from this device to make it work for the PC.

I read it at XBMC forum that a guy made it work, but that guy apparently never replied back to my message on the forum.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=511969&postcount=136

Maybe you can keep trying and please be kind enough to post here if you find a solution. By that time i have bought a dell media center remote and IR receiver to work with my Dell Hybrid Studio media center PC.

Thanks.
HyperEscape

Return to General Support